SQL Server DBA
Leeds, London, or Basingstoke
Unique specialists in Oracle, Microsoft and Multi-Cloud data platforms.
Our mission is to ensure that our clients are optimally supported in their use of enterprise grade data & application platforms, whether on-premise or in the cloud. We combine over 25 years of technical expertise, first rate people and innovative services to offer 24x7x365 data platform managed services in the UK and across the globe. Joining the DSP Group means working alongside well-respected consultants & data engineers in a market leading, high-growth business. We aim to lead the pack when it comes to service delivery.
Role & Responsibilities
Managed Services Support:
- Maintain support for Managed Clients, responding to tickets and support functions.
- Assist with support issues as and when required via the Service Desk
- Assist with covering in hours support between 08:30 and 18:00 as needed
- Understand and help with the client installs of DSP’s enterprise monitoring solution (UIM).
- On Call Support: The role will carry an on-call element.
Keep Microsoft certification up-to-date
Consultancy Elements when required:
- Represent DSP onsite at customers as the advisor, architect and implementer.
- Work with customers and delivery partners to help define and deliver high impact solutions based on the SQL Server platform.
- Act as consultant to our clients in varied engagements which could range from a 2-day piece of consultancy to a 3-month project.
- Engage in database projects ranging from upgrades to performance tuning and migration to Azure, disaster recovery and high availability.
- Work with management when necessary to resolve sensitive account issues and to effectively manage customer incidents.
- Proactively work with the sales team and provide pre-sales.
Key Success Criteria
Achievements and targets will be based upon the following:
- Customer support SLAs met
- Successful project delivery
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Percentage of time billed to projects
- SQL Server Database experience, with involvement in some or all the following areas: operation and troubleshooting, system architecture, design and implementation
- Consulting/services experience would be advantageous – i.e. the direct provision of technical thought leadership and services to external teams, stakeholders or customers
DSP values above all openness, excellence, reliability.
Primary Technical Skills – DBA
The ideal candidate will have gained the following skills over 5 years +:
- SQL Server Relational Database Engine Database administration from SQL 2000 to 2019
- Disaster recovery including log shipping, Mirroring and availability groups would be advantageous
- Architecture, design and implementation of highly-available database solutions (OLTP)
- Experience of transactional replication
- Database & Application performance tuning
- Understanding and application of database design techniques
- Transact-SQL programming skills
- Data querying and display using Reporting Services (SSRS), Performance Point Services and Excel Services
- Cloud experience and understanding, ideally with Microsoft Azure.
- Understanding of Windows and core services like Active Directory, DNS
- Appreciation for Hardware components
Secondary Technical Skills – Business Intelligence
- Large-scale data manipulation and Extract Transform and Load (ETL) using SQL Server Integration Services, Transact-SQL code and other techniques
- OLAP cube architecture, design and implementation using SQL Server Analysis Services
- Familiarity with SQL Server development tools (Management Studio and Business Intelligence Development Studio)
- A working knowledge of one or more .NET development languages and associated database APIs
Customers are generally based in the greater London Area, but you may be required to stay away from home during the working week.
This role will be based in our Leeds, London, or Basingstoke Office.
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indicating of the areas of activity and may be amended from time to time in the light of the changing needs of the organisation.